Last revised: March 2021
1. An overview of data protection
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (hereafter “LIST”, “We”) is committed to ensure the highest standards of data protection in compliance with the applicable legislation, notably with reference to the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data (hereafter “GDPR”).
The present document aims at illustrating what personal data we collect about you, the reason why LIST uses your data and, as the case may be, share your data and the applicable retention periods. Additionally, the notice also provides you with information regarding your rights, how to exercise them and whom you can contact in case of any query
2. Scope of the notice
The present notice is directed to participants (hereafter the “Participant”) registering for LIST’s events (including public lectures and conferences, demonstrations, competitions, tours of the LIST's facilities, and online events such as webinars - hereafter “Event”) or submitting a scientific paper in the context of a call for papers related to an Event.
3. Identity of the data controller
The data controller is LIST, having its registered office at 5, Avenue des Hauts-Fourneaux L-4362 Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg.
LIST is responsible for collecting and processing your personal data in relation with your participation to LIST’s activities.
Our contact details are set out in Section 10 (“Your rights and how to exercise them”) below.
4. How your personal data is collected
LIST may collect personal data from the following sources:
5. Categories of personal data we collect
The categories of personal data that we collect about you may vary depending on the type of Event.
Please find here below a detailed list of personal data we may collect and process. Those may at times include:
- Contact details (such as name, surname, address, e-mail address, telephone number),
- Professional information (such as company/organisation),
- Technical data (such as IP address, your browser type and language, access logs (including access times, websites use and monitoring thereof),
- Your dietary requirements (in case a meal is provided in the course of the Event),
- Your image, audio and likeliness (as captured on a webinar, in photographs or recordings realised at the Event and on CCTV if the Event is hosted at LIST’s premises),
- Any other requirement (such as accessibility requirements).
6. Purpose and legal basis for processing
Please find here below a list of the purposes for which LIST collects and processes your personal data:
- To manage your registration to the Event (this may, at times, include sending out Event invitations, managing the invoices),
- To ensure a proper management of the Event (this may, at times, include distribution of badges, managing of dietary requirements for the meal, distribution of satisfaction forms),
- To deliver you the Event you have registered for,
- To ensure the broadcast of the event, in case of an online webinar,
- To provide you with updates and details regarding the Event,
- To take photographs and/or videos of the Event,
- To send you invitations for other Events organized by LIST or relating to the theme discussed during the Event, as well as information mails on LIST’s activities,
- To receive and evaluate the paper you submitted in the context of the call for papers related to the Event,
- To ensure the security of our premises and facilities,
- To manage complaints, feedback and queries,
- To comply with applicable laws and regulatory obligations,
- To establish and/or defend our legal rights;
- To perform analytics evaluation on the participants.
Please find here below a list of the legal basis on whose grounds LIST collects and processes your personal data:
- Your consent, for instance we shall require your consent to send you invitations to other Events organized by LIST on similar topics or fields, to send you informative mails on LIST’s activities or to film, photograph or otherwise record Events and to publish such content on LIST’s website, social media accounts and other channels,
- Performance of a contract to which you are party when you register to an Event,
- LIST’s legitimate interest, which may consist of ensuring the management of the event or having records of the Event we organized and promoting it in the future with photos or videos taken at the Event.
The purposes and legal basis of our processing activities may vary based on the type of Event.
7. Share of your personal data with third parties
In order to fulfil the purposes mentioned in Section 5 (“Purposes and legal basis for processing”), LIST may transfer your personal data to:
- LIST’s internal departments, in order to ensure the proper organization and management of the Event,
- External service providers that perform services on LIST behalf, such as catering companies or IT service providers,
- Institutional or non-institutional partners, with whom LIST collaborates in the context of the Events’ management and organization,
- The scientific committee that is in charge of evaluating and selecting the scientific papers;
- The Publisher that is responsible for the publication of the selected scientific papers.
In case of disclosure of your personal data to the aforementioned external subjects, LIST shall take appropriate steps to ensure that third parties will apply adequate protection to this data as required by the applicable data protection legislation.
Some of the mentioned recipients of your personal data (such as GoToWebinar, our webinar service provider) may be located in countries outside the European Union or the European Economic Area (EU/EEA). In such cases, transfers to a county outside EU/EEA may take place when the European Commission has decided that the third country ensures an adequate level of protection.
In the absence of such adequacy decision, LIST will only proceed to such transfer after having implemented appropriate safeguards to protect your personal data (such as the use of standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission) or where a derogation established by art. 49 of the GDPR exists (such as your explicit and informed consent).
For online payments, personal data is sent using an encryption process. The online payment system is guaranteed by SIX Payment Services (Europe) S.A. Transactional data (such as the card number) does not pass through the LIST website and in no cases is it saved there. Please refer to SIX Payment’s conditions: www.six-payment-services.com/fr/services/legal/privacy-statement.html.
Further information about the mentioned transfers and the safeguard measures applied by LIST can be obtained by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Ensuring personal data security and integrity
In compliance with the applicable data protection legislation, LIST has put in place appropriate technical and organisational measures in order to prevent or act upon any unauthorised and unlawful processing or disclosure, accidental loss, modification or destruction of personal data. These measures are implemented based on the current state of art, an evaluation of the risks derived by the processing activity and the need to protect personal data. Such technical and organisation measures are regularly updated and/or adjusted to new technical developments or any organisational change that may affect LIST.
9. Data retention periods
LIST will only retain your personal for a period of time that is strictly necessary for the purposes for which we collect your data, without prejudice to LIST to keep them for a longer duration for legal and/or regulatory obligations applying to LIST or due to exceptional situations that would justify them being kept longer (judicial procedure, etc.).
10. Your rights and how to exercise them
With regards to your personal data collected and processed by LIST, you may exercise at any time the following rights:
- Right to access: You have the right to receive confirmation about whether or not your personal data is being processed by LIST. If that is the case, you have the right to know what data is being collected and processed and to obtain of copy of it;
- Right to rectification: If the personal data we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to request to have it rectified;
- Right to erasure: Subject to certain conditions specified in art. 17 of the GDPR, you have the right to have your personal data deleted by LIST;
- Right to restriction of processing: Subject to certain conditions specified in art. 18 of the GDPR, you have the right to obtain restriction of the processing of your personal data performed by LIST;
- Right to data portability: Subject to certain conditions specified in art. 20 of the GDPR, you have the right to obtain a copy of the personal data you provided to LIST in in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to request the transfer of these data to another data controller;
- Right to object: You have the right to object the processing of your personal data when the conditions set out in art. 21 of the GDPR apply;
- Right to withdraw consent: If LIST is processing your personal data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. The withdrawal of such consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority: You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Commission Nationale pour la Protection des Données (CNPD). More information on how to lodge a complaint are available on CNPD’s website: https://cnpd.public.lu.
You may exercise any of these rights by contacting our Data Protection Officer (DPO):
- by email at the following address: email@example.com,
- or by post at:
Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology
Attn. Data Protection Officer
5, Avenue des Hauts-Fourneaux
L-4362 Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg.
11. Link to other websites
Please be aware that LIST website may contain links to other websites, that are not governed by this privacy notice. We encourage users to review the privacy notice of each website before disclosing any personal data.
12. Changes to this notice
LIST may make changes to this privacy notice from time to time, to reflect our current privacy practices or to comply with changes in the applicable data protection legislation. LIST encourages you to regularly visit this page in order to remain informed on our data protection policies.